5.7 Conclusions – environmental challenges are interconnected
- Food systems contribute to multiple and interconnected environmental concerns.
- Agriculture is a key driver of deforestation and biodiversity loss.
- It is a major user of water and driver of unsustainable levels of water extraction.
- Overfishing, a consequence of rising demand and poor governance, is placing unsustainable pressure on wild fish stocks. Aquaculture can reduce some of this pressure, but not all.
- All of these impacts will grow if in global demand for food, especially for resource intensive animal products, increases in line with current projections.
- An important cross cutting concern is food waste.